SSH-based monitoring fails due to incompatible Java versions
KB1267 - Apr 14, 2020
Description: This article explains how to identify problems Hardware Sentry monitoring caused by incompatible Java versions.
Additional Keywords: Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL, Monitoring Studio, Java, JRE
SSH-based monitors in Hardware Sentry KM, Monitoring Studio KM, or Monitoring Studio X may no longer work, either on a new installation, or after upgrading from an earlier version of the KM.
This is due to the KM's included SSH client requiring an updated version of the Java Runtime Environment.
Identifying the issue
Errors such as this may be seen in the Collection Hub logs:
-----+ swSSHSendCommand(): ERROR (ERROR) while performing SSH query to 198.51.100.25: executionTime=0.033, exitStatus=: | Cannot connect to 198.51.100.25: There was a problem while connecting to 198.51.100.25:22
These may be seen by Enabling Debug Logging, then checking the Collection Hub logs in the
$PATROL_HOME/log folder for error messages like those shown above.
The SSH client can be tested via command line, by executing one of the following commands on the PATROL Agent with the appropriate hostname, username, and password or keyfile specified:
/opt/bmc/Patrol3/jre64/bin/java -jar $PATROL_HOME/../bin/MS_HW_matsya-module-sshclient.jar -hostname:198.51.100.25 -username:user "echo Hello"
/opt/bmc/Patrol3/jre64/bin/java -jar $PATROL_HOME/../bin/MS_HW_matsya-module-sshclient.jar -hostname:198.51.100.25 -username:user -keyfile:/home/patrol/.ssh/id_rsa
If an incompatible version of Java is in use, the response to these queries will be similar to this:
MS_HW_matsya-module-sshclient.jar: Error: Failed to connect to 198.51.100.25 (Exception IOException: There was a problem while connecting to 198.51.100.25:22)
Install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8.0_241 or higher. This can be deployed through Truesight as part of a deployable package. See BMC's documentation on Using OpenJDK with KM Repository.
- Failing to Upgrade to Java v1.8.0_45
- Forcing Detection of WMI-based Connectors when Required WMI Namespace is Unavailable
- Hardware Monitoring: Disabling Missing Device Detection
- Hardware Monitoring: Enabling Missing Device Detection
- Installation or Upgrade Fails Due to Locked Out Jar Files
- Loading Custom JDBC Drivers in Monitoring Studio
- Monitoring Fails Due to SSL Handshake or Authentication Failures
- Monitoring Studio 9: Configuring the Multi-Parameter Formula Monitor in CMA to alert only when multiple conditions are met
- Monitoring Studio Does not Take into Account a Change to the Polling Interval
- Object IDs shown in Hardware Sentry KM do not Match with Other Management Consoles
- Other Sentry KMs Stop Working After EMC KM 3.1.00 Install
- Performance and Stability Best Practices for Hardware Sentry KM
- System Requirements for Sentry KMs
- TrueSight Presentation Server Does Not Load After Installing Hardware Sentry TSPS component
- Unable to Perform Remote Monitoring from Windows 2008 Servers with UAC Turned on
- java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: Connection Reset When Monitoring Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2