Monitoring Studio: No Metrics Collected with Monitors Leveraging the WMI Protocol
KB1199 - Jun 07, 2017
Description: This article explains how to ensure that metrics are collected by all the Monitors that leverage the WMI protocol to retrieve data.
Additional Keywords: Monitoring Studio KM for PATROL
Some metrics might not be collected in your TrueSight environment even though the required ports are enabled. This situation generally occurs for Monitors (typically Windows Performance Counters) that leverage the WMI protocol to collect data. To solve this issue, it is recommended to set up the WMI service to run as the only process in a separate host and specify a fixed port.
To solve this issue:
- Ensure that ports 135 and 445 are enabled.
- Set a fixed WMI port using the winmgmt command-line tool:
- At the command prompt, type winmgmt -standalonehost
- Stop the WMI service by typing the command net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation", or use the short name of net stop winmgmt
- Restart the WMI service again in a new service host by typing net start "Windows Management Instrumentation" or net start winmgmt
- Establish a new port number for the WMI service by typing netsh firewall add portopening TCP 24158 WMIFixedPort
- Run the portqry command from the machine where the PATROL agent is running to verify that data can be collected through WMI.
portqry -n remote_server -e 135
For more information: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219447(v=vs.85).htmlx