Monitoring 3PAR Storage Arrays with Hardware Sentry
KB1094 - Mar 21, 2012 - Last reviewed on Jul 02, 2019
Type: Best Practice
Description: This article explains how to configure the 3PAR SMI-S provider to monitor the hardware of 3PAR Storage Arrays with Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL
Additional Keywords: 3PAR, SMI-S Provider
This article explains how to configure the 3PAR SMI-S Provider to monitor the hardware of 3PAR Storage Arrays with Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL. Since the 3PAR SMI-S Provider is embedded with the storage device, there is no need to install an SMI-S Provider. Monitoring hardware will only require configuring the 3PAR SMI-S Provider, and enabling monitoring.
Configuring 3PAR SMI-S Provider
Starting the 3PAR CLI
- Start PuTTY
- Specify the IP address, select the SSH connection type, and click Open
- Type the username configured on the array and press ENTER
- Type your password and press ENTER.
Enabling the 3PAR SMI-S provider
By default, the 3PAR SMI-S Provider is not started on the array's management interface. The startcim command must thus be run in the 3PAR CLI to start the SMI-S provider. Conversely, the stopcim command will be used to stop/disable the SMI-S provider.
Use the command showcim to verify the status of the CIM server.
Creating a User
A user with browse role is required to monitor the hardware of the HP 3PAR storage systems. To create this user:
- Open HP 3PAR Management Console.
- Click Security & Domains in the Manager Pane.
- Click Create User in the Common Actions Panel.
- Create a user with browse role.
- Log in to TrueSight Presentation Server.
- Add or edit an Infrastructure Policy for Hardware monitoring.
In the Hardware Configuration section, click Add:
- Provide an Internal ID, and enter the Hostname or IP Address of the HP 3PAR disk array where the SMI-S provider is running.
In the Device Type drop-down list, select Storage (Array, Switch, Library).
Specify the Protocol/Connection Information:
- Enable WBEM
- Enter the Username and Password to use to establish the connection with the device using the WBEM protocol.
- Specify the port number. By default, port 5989 is used for encrypted connections and 5988 for non-encrypted connections.
For encrypted connections, check the Encryption option.
In the Device Advanced Settings section:
- Select Use Specified Connectors.
In the Connector File Names field, enter MS_HW_HP3PAR.hdf.
- Click Save. After a few minutes, your device will be displayed in TrueSight.